Friday, December 10, 2010

You Give and Take Away, Yet My Heart Will Choose to Say, "Lord, Blessed Be Your Name."

My sister came home last night and made herself a late dinner. She sat down and asked if I had eaten my snack yet.

"Later" was my response. That's always what I say. "I will eat later..."

She finished her food, feeling satisfied and relaxed and said, "Someday, I hope you can like food as much as I do."

She doesn't know that that has been my hope for the last seven years. I am tired of feeling like I'm not normal. I am tired of being afraid of food. I'm tired of missing out on life. In the words of a friend from treatment, "I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired."

The end of 2010 is approaching, which has led me to reflect on this past year. I will have been in treatment for a total of 37 weeks this year. The rest I have spent in and out of dr appointments. I have been inpatient four times in two separate facilities in this year alone. I missed vacations to Costa Rica and Palm Springs. I've had to take a leave from work and school, which has been so hard considering I love both so very much (no sarcasm!). I have lost friends who can't seem to understand why I can't just EAT and be happy. Other friendships have been strained...I feel like I have fallen out of touch with people I care so much about.

And I almost lost my life. It just really hit me last night. I always brushed off the symptoms and signs that my body was deteriorating because I have known other girls who have seemed "sicker" than I. It didn't matter that my heart was acting up or that I didn't even have the energy to simply roll over in bed. But looking back now, I can see that death was not just a word, but a reality.

Being in treatment this year has honestly saved my life. Yes, I lost a lot and had to set many things aside, but I have gained so much more than I could have thought (no pun intended, although I have gained a significant amount of weight in order to bring me back to a "healthy" weight range.). I am slowly getting my health back- I have the energy to do the simplest things- like walk up stairs or stand for any period of time without feeling faint. I can think clearly and can remember things. And I am creating a better relationship with my sister, which makes me so incredibly happy (My eating disorder really hurt her, but we're working through it together.).

What a challenging year it has been! I have experienced so much pain- physically through refeeding (one of my friends says she'd rather be in labor again than go through refeeding!) and emotionally while looking at the root causes of my disorder. Yes, I still struggle very much with giving my body proper nutrition, but I have come so far in this last year. I am not the same person I was in March, when I first entered the hospital. I am gaining strength, motivation, and confidence. The road ahead is going to be difficult, BUT I CAN DO ALL THINGS IN CHRIST who strengthens me.
Until next time, Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Sarah it is so good to hear you talk about how much you have gained out [physically and emotionally :)] of your treatment. 2010 was the battle for your life and you are winning, and i pray that you continue to see the up side of your treatment and kick ed's ass for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you to be able to fight this through and be so honest about it. It really does help other people see what you're going through and what this disorder is really about. It also seemed that you have changed to someone more up front about your situation and your feelings and it really shows that you're gaining strength from all this. So keep fighting, I know God is always in the battles with you.

    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, for many of the weeks of your journey through recovery. I too have been on the same journey. You are an amazement, your love for christ, the children in mexico, your family and friends. Now only if you could love yourself in the same way. I understand how the Eating Disorder takes away our ability to love ourselves and the constant struggle with just letting ourselves live a life we feel we are not worthy of. You are worthy of health, love, happiness and most of all peace. I love you friend!

    ReplyDelete